50 Spain Books
A list of Spain Books for all those who love Spanish food, history and culture.
I am often asked for reading recommendations about Spain themes. As I do read quite a lot myself, I thought I would create a list of Spain Books that I think are worth reading.
In this selection there is something for everyone. Civil war stories, romantic novels, cooking books and humorous expat tales.
It´s not a definitive list. There are hundreds of titles out there.
These are some of my personal favourites and books that may not be as well known too.
Spanish Civil War Books
- Albi – Hilary Shepherd
- Daughters of Spain – Joan Fallon
- Doves of War – Paul Preston
- Ghosts of Spain – Giles Tremlett
- The Seamstress – Maria Dueñas
- Waiting for Robert Capa – Susana Fortes
- Soldiers of Salamina – Javier Cercas
- As I Walked Out Through Spain in Search of Laurie Lee – Paul Murphy
Practical Spain Books
- How To Buy Spanish Property and Move To Spain …safely – Nick Snelling
- The Best places to buy a property in Spain – Joanna Styles
- Spain: the Expat Survival guide – Yolanda Solo
- Coastal Walks in Andalucia – Cicerone Press
- 100 Spanish Short Stories for Beginners – Learn Spanish with Stories Christian Stahl (Including Audiobook)
Flamenco Themed Books
- Duende: A journey in search of Flamenco – Jason Webster
- City of Sorrows- Susan Nadathur
- Falling for Flamenco – Barry O Leary
- Flamenco Academy by Sarah Bird.
- Flamenco Baby – Cherry Radford
- Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes
- As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning – Laurie Lee
- Death in the afternoon – Ernest Hemingway
- Homage to Catalonia – George Orwell
Food & Cooking in Spain Books
- Spanish Cooking Uncovered: Farmhouse Favourites – Deborah Jenkins
- Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain’s Food Culture – Matt Goulding
- Cooking with Languages – Lisa Sadleir.
Granada Themed Books
- Driving over Lemons – Chris Stewart
- Granada, City of my dreams – Lorenzo Boheme
- South From Granada – Gerard Brenan
- Tales of the Alhambra – Washington Irving
- The Alhambra of Salomon – Jose Luis Serrano
- The Hand of Fatima – Idlefons Falcones
- The Return – Victoria Hislop
- Lorca: A Dream of Life Leslie Stainton
- Lorca’s Granada by Ian Gibson
- Walking & Trekking the Sierra Nevada – Richard Hartley
- Andalus: Unlocking the Secrets of Moorish Spain – Jason Webster
Barcelona & Catalonia Themed Books
- Barcelona Plates – Alexie Sayle
- The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Stone in a Landslide – Maria Barbal
- Nada – Carmen LaForet
Spain Books by British Writers
- Fear and Loathing in La Liga – Sid Lowe
- More Salsa than ketchup – Joe Cawley
- Tapas and Tinto – Pete Wolstencroft
- Bitten by Spain – Deborah Fletcher
- Chicken, mules and two Old fools – Victoria Twead
- Donkey on my doorstep – Anna Nicholas
- Going local in Gran Canaria – Matthew Hirtes
- Vino Tinto Villas and Sailing – Eugenie C Smith
- Washing Amethysts in the Bidet –Fiona Pitt Kethley . A book about the collecting minerals around Spain & the SIerra Minera.
- Zanussi and Jack – Edna Clyne-Rekhy *Profits from the sale of this book will be donated to ALZHEIMERS SCOTLAND.
Page Turners with Spanish Themes
- Passion India – Javier Moro
- The Winemaker by Noah Gordon
- Vengeance in the Valencian Water – Caroline A Baker
- Winter in Madrid – C.J Samson
- Voices of Angels – Hannah M Davies
- Coffee Castanets and Don Quixote – Robert Graham Noble
- Roads to Santiago – Cees Nooteboom
- Your Face Tomorrow – Javier Marias
- The Reign in Spain – W. Kristjan Arnold. An entertaining historical novel which examines Spain’s turbulent 20th century
- Death & the Sun by Edward Lewine
I´m sure that in this Spain books list one of your favourite titles could have been missed.
Let me know in the comments below.
I may need to add it to my reading list…