Andalusia is a perfect destination for a luxury break. A place of contrast, beautiful architecture, vast expanses of wildlife, long white beaches and ancient monuments, it´s well worth visiting at any time of the year.
Here´s how to make your trip a little more luxurious and unique.
- There are several destinations springing up for Glampers wanting to visit Andalusia. The enchanting Hoopoe Yurt Hotel is one of them, sleep under the stars in a natural setting and unwind in comfort at these sites. See other suggestions for natural accomodation at Go Glamping!
- Finca Cortesin is a destination in itself, not far from Sotogrande, this resort boasts an excellent golf course as well as a newly built beach club with its own swimming pool.
- In Granada Luxury accomodation includes the Historic Parador de San Francisco a 15th century convent with unique history set inside the Alhambra complex itself. In the city centre Palatial Hotel Hospes Palacio de los Patos is another great option (fountain pictured above)
- Close to the town of Loja, which is well known for good food, you´ll discover the setting for the breathtaking hotel Barcelo La Bobadilla where you will find a Spa complex and an outdoor pool complex covering 1,500 m2, nestled amongst the breathtaking Andalusian countryside.
- I cannot forget to mention the majestic Hotel Alfonso XIII (pictured above)located in the heart of Seville, a landmark in the Spain since 1929, officially opened by the King Alfonso XII, in March 2012 it was reopened after refurbishment. No doubt that the superb quality and reputation will endure.
- Andalusia is the only place at the moment in the world where Organic Caviar is produced. Exported internationally from Riofrio, Granada, make sure you taste this delicacy when visiting the area. Hotel Hospes Palacio de los Patos also offer a tour to Discover Caviar and learn more secrets about this world class product. To read more here about the careful production of this delicacy: Discovering Organic Caviar in Spain
- Spanish ham find it in the best restaurants and if you really can´t wait buy Ham Online (Jamones Cano Gonzalez) . The best is Pata negra and Trevelez in the Sierra Nevada is one of the most well known areas for production as well as Jabugo in Huelva.
- Love wine, take a visit to one of Andalusias wineries. Try Bodegas La Sangre de Ronda or Senorio de Nevada just outside Granada at Ctra. de Cónchar, Villamena they have a hotel, restaurant and regular tastings and tours. In Jerez, famous for sherry the must see is Tour Osborne in Jerez Osborneis famous for their black bull publicity dotted around Spain´s roads, a national treasure.
- There are an overwhelming number of restaurants and bars in Andalusia but some of the top notch ones that stand out are the Michelin starred Calima Restaurante by the famous chef Dani Garcia, which is in Marbella. Recently the Cordoban restaurant Choco was awarded it´s first michelin star, find them at Compositor Serrano Lucena, 14, Cordoba. Then in Ronda, the excellent Bardal never ceases to surprise with their innovative creations and interesting perspective on food. They are located very close to the magnificent Parador of Ronda which overlooks the vast gorge.
Memorable Days Out
- Is the pace a little steady for you so far? Then visit Ascari Racing in Ronda for a day out, see the facilities on their tour or race around the track Lewis Hamilton style in one of their amazing high powered cars.
- They are many Beauty and luxury Spa destinations in Andalucia, the Balneario de Lanjaron near to the picturesque Alpujarra is one of the oldest, the spa waters were recognised in 1770, the hotel has just underdone an extension and refurbishment and is worth a visit. In the previously Finca Cortes in near Sotogrande they have excellent services for pampering too.
- A day out in the country, take a be drive to the Pueblos blancos retracing Brenan´s footsteps in this beautiful Hurtan car. Special cars for Special People. A classic style car, hand made in Granada . These cars are certainly head turners, elegant wooden finishes, a vintage-styled vehicle produced with exquisite care in Granada in very limited quantities. These cars feature soft leather seats but also incorporate all mod cons such as power steering, CD player and anti-lock brakes.
- Fancy a round of Golf then visit Valderrama Golf Course at Sotogrande or Alhaurin Golf designed by Seve Ballesteros himself. Andalucia has many great courses in Almeria, Malaga, Granada to choose from and plenty of sunshine.
- For shopping it has to be Marbella, endless choice in luxury Fashion and high end cosmetics. Try La Cañada shopping centre, Puerto Banus or the old town. My personal favourite is visiting all the cosmetics stand in the huge Corte Inglés.
- In Andalucia skiing is excellent at the Sierra Nevada close to Granada , there are instructors and equipment hire at Sierra Nevada skiing and the season lasts until Mid April. There is even the gorgeous Clicquot Terrace at the foot of the Rio piste, serving Verve Clicquot and with views of the white stuff.