Film locations in Granada + Almeria
Film locations in Granada and Almeria chosen by Hollywood directors. Over the last 100 years these locations have hosted many famous actors. 212 films are made in Granada province. Filming in this western area of Andalusia began in 1913.
In fact, in its heyday the region was making about 50 films each year.
North of Granada
The shoots were often located around Guadix and La Calahorra, North of Granada. By the 1960´s this area was an established location for Hollywood filmmakers. The main attraction being lower production costs.
The dramatic scenery offered an attractive Film locations, alternative from other locations in USA or Europe. Being able to have so many different settings in a relatively small distance is a huge advantage to film producers and directors.
Spanish Spaghetti Western
The provinces of Almeria & Granada have an immense geographical variety. Tabernas desert is a perfect set for Western films. Especially as it has rugged landscape and rock formations. These locations make an ideal backdrop.
Because of the amount of daylight hours in this area. This helps with long filming days.
Cabo de Gata
The beautiful Cabo de Gata beaches have also appeared in some films as well. Indiana Jones filmed by Steven Spielberg was shot along the coast. The stretch from Caboneras across to Rodalquilar.
Alcazaba de Almeria
The Alcazaba fortress in Almeria was used for a scene in ´Conan the Barbarian´ recreating an Arab bazaar. Sean Connery played James Bond in Never say never again. Almeria city was the set for some scenes in this 1983 film.
Films made in Granada & Almeria
- 1988 Indiana Jones & the last Crusade directed by Steven Speilberg starring Harrison Ford
- 1982 Conan the Barbarian starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
- 1975 The Wind & the Lion starring Sean Connery
- 1974 Stardust starring David Essex & Adam Faith
- 1970 Patton won 7 oscars. The main square in Almeria was one of the locations.
- 1967 Navajo Joe directed by Sergio Corbucci Starring Burt Reynolds
- 1966 The Good, the Bad & the Ugly with Clint Eastwood
- 1965 Dr Zhivago starring Omar Sharif
- 1962 Lawrence of Arabia starring Peter O’Toole and Anthony Quinn. The film won Oscars in 1963.
- 1933 Duck Soup by the Marx Brothers
Duck Soup had Film locations in the town of Loja. This balcony ´Mirador de Sylvania´ is in the Marx Brothers film. Although it appears for just 15 seconds in the film.
Earlier this year (2012) the mountains of Sierra Nevada in Granada were chosen as the location for snowy scenes of a film about the Venezuelan Simon Bolivar.
Casa del Cine
If you want to know more about this golden age of Andalusian Hollywood visit the Almeria film museum. The Casa del Cine de Almeria. Check opening times and guided visits as you need to book in advance.
So if you are a fan of Westerns, visit Tabernas Desert just outside Almeria. The only desert in Europe has been the location for many films and adverts. Such a unique scenery. Surprisingly it feels like you are in Arizona or Atacama rather than in Almeria.