FITUR is the annual International Tourism Fair held in Madrid. This important event in the Travel sector calendar is celebrated each January at IFEMA exhibition centre in Spain´s capital.
Along with the ITB in Berlin WTM in London these are the most important travel fairs in Europe.
FITUR is a five day event, the first three days are for business and professionals. The last two days (Saturday and Sunday) it is open to the public. With 165 countries taking part in this edition, you literally have the world at your feet.
It´s a great opportunity to visit stands from places you haven´t been. Many of them have elaborate stands with dramatic displays to attract your attention. Some even offer typical food or have shows planned to draw in the audience.
FITUR: The Basics
- Where: IFEMA Madrid (10 minutes from the airport)
- When: 20th to 26th January 2016
- Cost: 9 euros (General entrance)
- Get there on Metro: Campo de las Naciones
FITUR Blog Award
Each year FITUR presents several awards for different areas of the Travel and Tourism Sector. Categories include the best stand, best companies in adventure tourism, Best mobile apps and best Travel blogs.
I´m thrilled to announce that the award for the Best Travel blog was given to me this year.
Piccavey.com was awarded the FITUR TravelBlogger 2016 for Best Content.
The winning blog was chosen by a panel of experts based on this criteria:
- Content of quality
- Integration of different communication formats
- Innovative use of the medium
- Frequency of publications
- Overall contribution (including guest posts and article collaborations)
For more information about the award please see the Press Release
Other winners in this 36th edition of FITUR which I got to meet were:
- Los Viajes de Mary – Most popular blog (based on Social Votes) Mary is a blogger from Peru who has a huge following especially from Solo travellers.
- Granavision – Best Mobile App – Culture & Tourism. The app is to guide children around the Alhambra palace. It has fun animations and information in a visual format. In English and Spanish it is on Android and itunes.
FITUR for bloggers
Fitur has different events for bloggers. As well as the TravelBlogger Award there were several activities specifically aimed at blogueros de viajes.
- Travel Bloggers Meeting at Hotel Ayre was a whole afternoon of surprises and presentations. Phillipines, Andorra, United Kingdom and SIXT España all took part.
- #AtrápaloBirratour sponsored by Estrella Damm was great fun. Lots of prize draws with flights from Iberia Express, Vouchers from Hammam Al Andalus Hotel stays and endless other prizes. My highlight was catching up with fellow bloggers I´ve not seen for a while.
- Madrid Travel Bloggers and Andalucia Travel Bloggers were there in full force. Organisations which amass Travel Bloggers in different areas of Spain. Galicia and Barcelona also have their own associations too.
Thanks, Gracias, Danke, Toda…
I have to thank lots of people who I met at FITUR over the three intense days of the fair.
- Israel Ministry of Tourism
- Victoria & Travel Bloggers Meeting
- SIXT Rent a Car
- NH Eurobuilding,
- Hotel Courtyard Marriott Princesa
- Hilton Sa Torre Mallorca Resort
- Cicerone Granada
- Andalucia Travel Bloggers
- Hey AV