When? 2nd to 11th of August 2019
Where? Laroles open-air theatre.
A venue located high up in the Alpujarra mountains, on the border of Granada/Almeria provinces
- 1 hour 15 mins from Granada
- 1 hr 30 mins from Almeria
- 2 hours from Malaga.
´Me Vuelves Lorca´ is more than just a festival.
- ……the chance to enjoy quality theatre in a unique setting
- … a return to the essence of theatre: experience theatre as the ancient Greeks did #breath-taking
- … an unspoilt, little known corner of Spain waiting to be discovered
- … part of a dynamic, award-winning social development project
- … a taste of a traditional rural lifestyle
- … set against the backdrop of the stunning Alpujarra mountains in the Sierra Nevada National Park
Mas información en Español > aquí
Me Vuelves Lorca
This summer in Laroles the third edition of ‘ME VUELVES LORCA’ theatre & music Festival takes place in the Alpujarras. With each edition the festival represents a new phase in the life of Un Teatro Entre Todos, an award-winning social development project. Aiming to revitalize a lesser known area the Alpujarras in Granada through cultural events and sustainable tourism.
A theatre in the mountains
It’s a dream that started in 2013 with the construction of a open-air theatre on the outskirts of the village. The work was carried out by members of the
local community, taking advantage of the traditional know-how in the area and using the same materials that have been used for centuries to make the agricultural terraces in the area.
The result is a beautiful, handcrafted amphitheatre in a stunning natural setting in an area that’s been hard hit by the recession. A commitment to sustainable tourism and culture set in motion by the local inhabitants.
British-born Anna Kemp is the driving force behind the project, and takes as her inspiration, the Minack Theatre in Cornwall, one of the most famous open-air theatres in the world, and the product of the commitment and determination ofanother woman, Rowena Cade (1893-1983).
Laroles Theatre Festival
The 2019 edition is a varied programme.
With music concerts, theatre, a swing dance weekend too.
Some activities are in Spanish and some are suitable for non Spanish speakers.
- Fri 2nd Sat 3rd & Sunday 4th August – Ay Harlem Swing Workshops
- Friday 2nd August – Carmen Paris in Concert – Spanish Fusion music with Jazz Flamenco and Andalusi rhythms.
- Saturday 3rd August – Maestretta in Concert – Jazz band
- Friday 9th August – Elisa & Marcela – Theatre
Where to stay
A variety of accommodation is on offer in Laroles and the surrounding area
- Real Laroles Hotel (photo above)
- Mairena Hotel
- Laroles campsite
- Country cortijos
- Self-catering flats
More information about where to stay is available on the Festival Website.
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. All thoughts, feelings and opinions shared on this blog and in this post are my own.