In the UK the switching on of Christmas lights is usually a big event with a local celebrity involved. In Granada the Nativity Scene is the main feature in most shop windows and large buildings. Christmas trees are few and far between. Last year in the official competition 35 Nativity scenes participated. (there are more thant don´t compete) the first prize is 5000 euros.
Every year in Granada there are many different Nativity Scenes to visit. Here are some of the main ones.
In Spanish it´s called the Ruta de Belenes.
- Ayuntamiento – Granada Town Hall. (photo above) This is inside in the patio. (Address: Plaza del Carmen) Open from 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm until 5th January.
- Vecinos del Sagrario at next to Fuente de las Batallas. 11am-2pm and 5.30pm-9pm
- Mayores association at San Matías 11. Until 6th January. Open Noon-2pm & 6pm7pm (Closed 24th & 31st Dec)
- Palace of Condes de Gabia at Plaza de los Girones until 7th Jan Open from 11am-2pm & evenings 6pm-9pm
- Caja Rural Bank at Av Don Bosco Open 6pm- 9pm daily until 6th January (closed 24th, 31st Dec & 5th Jan)
- Angel Custodio at San Anton 38 from 6pm-9pm. Holidays open from 11.30-2pm. Sale of traditional sweets too.
For more traditional sweets made in the local Convents of Granada check out this list: Reposteria Conventual For many convents it´s a main source of income for the year.
- In the Albaicin at Calle Zafra from 11am-2pm until 6th Janaury the Nativity scene has the Alhambra included.
- Casa de los Pisa close to Plaza Nueva at C/Convalencia Open from 10am to 2pm & 5pm-7.30pm daily (closed 24th, 31st Dec & 5th Jan) (Also known as Archivo Museo de San Juan de Dios)
- Hospital San Rafael on C/San Juan de Dios from 10.30am-1.30pm & 5.30pm-9pm until 7th January
- Convent of the Carmelitas Descalzas at Plaza San Juan de la Cruz (just off Pavaneras) 6th to 19th December open evenings from 5.30pm-8.30pm and then from 20th December open mornings 11am-1.30pm and evening 5.30pm-8.30pm.
- San Juan Letran Church on Avenida Constitution from 6pm-8pm daily
Granada province & Andalusia
Huetor Tajar the nativity scene is set up at Plaza Gregorio Pelaez. Open from 5pm-9pm.
Trevelez have made a Nativity scene based on local traditions. It is at Calle Carcel next to the Hermitage of San Antonio. It´s open from 11am-10pm everyday. (Read more in Spanish here Portal de Belén de Trevélez )
- Almeria In the Rambla 70 stalls in the Christmas market open 10am until 11pm. The Official Nativity scene is at the Plaza Vieja until 6th January 2014.
- Malaga Ruta Belenes in Malaga
- Corboda Belenes 2013 Cordoba & this map
- Seville have an online guide to the Nativity scenes this year Guía de Belenes de Sevilla
Wherever you are this Christmastime – Have fun!